Saturday 1 April 2023

Time travel in mind

 “Memory, you realized long ago, is a game that a healthy-brained person can play all the time, and the game of memory is won or lost on one criterion: Do you leave the formation of memories to happenstance, or do you decide to remember?”

-- Gabrielle Zevin

Yearning to reach back to a specific memory. But what is a memory - the blend of smell, touch, sight, sounds, words and feelings? How can you possibly remember what you had felt so many years ago? You willed yourself to remember or is it happenstance because you were lost in the moment with all of you your senses absorbing the moment and absorbed in the moment?

If I can't decide to remember, do I get to decide to reach back to the memory at will or does that happen involuntarily too? And isn't that travelling back in time because in my mind I can recreate every piece of that memory? All my senses are transposed back to that precise spot but alas with a ache in my heart for not being able to relive it. And it is that aching that gives the memory more life and it is that aching that gives me the will to live a life full of such memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment